Sunday, October 23, 2022

The Desert Onwards

 I saw a passing sunlight

That trickled through the trees

And a single bird sang

To the wind so softly


And me I stand tall staring

At a rushing river ahead

That will swallow me whole

If I don’t use these hands

To construct a bridge

Onto the distant desert

That seems to lie beyond

The torrents of what's been left behind. 


The desert well it’s hard to see

But it doesn’t look too pretty

And I think I’m gonna be thirsty

Chasing every oasis that looks pretty

And after that well I haven’t

Got a clue to share with you

But my gut feeling says 

I’m gonna find me a higher place 

And build me a cabin to call home

And though the winds will probably

try to tear the walls right down

I think I’ll find a friend

And we’ll build it back up again 

And look down upon the darkened

Screams that we once held inside


And don’t you know my gut well

it’s been wrong plenty a time

So can’t even use that as a guide

Just gotta keep chasing

The scattering light 

In varying directions

That’s dizzying my mind

and trapping me in time 


Well the daylight couldn’t go wasted

So I picked up my bag and trekked onward

To the storming river 

where I’m gonna sink or swim

It’s moments like these

That define who I really am

So God I won’t let you down


No comments: