Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tearing at the Heart

My lungs are filling with smoke
And in a distance, I see a shining light.
Is it the pale glow of the darkest night?
Or the afterglow of a lightning strike?

My heart begins to beat rapidly
As I let the elusive grey matter fill my veins
It cries to my brain, “Don’t let this happen to me!”
Though I just sit there quietly wallowing in self defeat

But still my heart races begging me to see
Of all the illustrious wonders love could be!
That this is not the end!
But yet another chance to amend!
Wherein lays a chance to grow, rise, and overcome!
But no no please don’t succumb!
Yes, yes I know it sounds dumb
When all that was bright has gone dim
But I swear I’m still your friend
So please, please, please don't do me in!

"Gentle heart, I could never do you in"
"But you must realize there is a time for everything"
"And that includes the sorrowing"

But why is that? I wonder
That I treat love as an escape
While my heart slowly assimilates into hate
Leaves me wandering - lost - in this cloudy state

No comments: